Lately I have been feeling really unwell. My stress levels are high, my eating habits are total crap, my work load is huge and family life has been hectic to say the least. My marriage has been in the crapper lately too which ads to the stress, it’s nothing we won’t get through, but times are a bit tough (story for another post). So with all this going on my physical and mental health is suffering so it’s time to make some changes. I have been down this road before but sometimes it takes a few fails before you get it right. I have chosen to go with a mediterannean style diet, not too strict but will do what I can. Yesterday I went and bought fruit and veg that is consistent to that particular diet, and last night made my first ‘Mediterannean style’ salad. It had a lot of things we don’t usually eat like chick peas and feta cheese which surprisingly was ok mixed with the rest of the salad. The recipe called for homemade tsatsiki which I skipped because I forgot the herbs that I needed but I will have a go at that next time. Below is the recipe I used and the link to where I found the recipe…
Greek Chicken Gyro Salad
I use my Greek Marinated Chicken Breast to maximize my favorite Mediterranean flavors, but you can always use shredded rotisserie chicken if time is an issue.
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 8- ounce Greek Marinated Chicken Breast sliced or chopped
- 1 15- ounce can garbanzo beans drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 pita bread pockets
- Canola oil spray
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Homemade Tzatziki sauce for drizzling
- Add the lettuce to a large serving bowl and top with the sliced chicken, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, olives and red onion.
- Cut the pita breads into triangles and spray with canola oil. Sprinkle with paprika and toast until golden. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- To make the dressing add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper to a small canning jar. Top with the lid and shake well until blended and emulsified. Season with more sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to taste. Drizzle with the tzatziki as desired.
This was as delicious as it looks! You can find the full recipe HERE